THE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 15, 2022, 5:00PM EST
The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD) provides several groups of new student leaders with scholarships for one semester of undergraduate study at an American university or university. The program is sponsored by the Office of Education and Culture of the US Department of State, and aims to recruit participants from underrepresented backgrounds who have no other opportunities to study in the United States. Successful applicants can expect deep exposure to American society, culture, and institutions, as well as opportunities to develop their skills. All courses of study are eligible.* Under the J-1 law, for students of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacology or other medical fields of study, care direct patient care, including animal care, is not permitted, and therefore educational and/or professional activities. of American organizations involved may be restricted.)
Participants will be placed at an American university in the fall 2023 semester (August – December 2023) or spring 2024 semester (January through May 2024). This scholarship includes international travel, tuition, room and board, medical insurance, required books, and a small stipend. All participants will be enrolled in a full-time, non-degree, graduate program selected from their host institution’s existing curriculum. Students must take at least two courses in their major and at least one course in American Studies, such as American history, literature, art, or government. Students must participate in at least twenty hours of community service during the internship. International UGRAD participants will live in the university’s halls of residence with American classmates. The program will include a pre-departure orientation at the Post, a virtual arrival briefing, and an in-person interview in Washington, DC.
For more information on the application and instructions, and to apply please visit Global UGRAD online application
Eligibility for the Global UGRAD Program:
- Applicants must be citizens of the country they are applying for the Global UGRAD Program, currently living in that country.
- Applicants must be studying in the country where they are applying for the Global UGRAD Program.
- Applicants must be enrolled as an undergraduate, in good standing, at an accredited institution. Participants must have at least one semester or an equivalent period at their university at the end of the Global UGRAD Program.
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential through academic performance, community involvement, and extracurricular activities.
- Applicants must have command of written and spoken English.
- Preference will be given to those who have had little or no experience in the United States or outside of their home country.
- Applicants must return directly to their home country after completion of the program.
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age.
- Students with disabilities are encouraged to apply. (http://www.miusa.org/storymap)
Individuals in the following situations are not eligible for the Global UGRAD Program:
- US citizens and permanent residents of the United States;
- Individuals currently studying, living, or working outside of their country;
- Field employees of US foreign missions who work for the US Department of State and/or the US Agency for International Development (USAID); employees are also ineligible for one year after the decision to work;
- Immediate family members (including spouses and children) of US Department of State and USAID employees; family members are also ineligible for one year after the decision to work.
Before you start / Useful tips:
- Prospective participants should request their transcripts and letters of recommendation as soon as possible, as they will not be able to add additional documents after the December 15, 2022 deadline. They can provide an English translation of their updated information when they have been selected as a finalist or alternate.
- Student advice. (PDF 400 KB)
- Be patient and persevere! It will take more than two hours to submit the proposal.
For more information please write to: [email protected]