Washington, DC — Last week, Arizonans voted to re-elect NARAL-endorsed Greg Stanton (AZ-04) to the US House of Representatives. This victory over the Republican nominee is a major victory for child rights and abortion in Arizona.
In response to this victory, NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju posted the following:
“We know that 9 out of 10 Arizonans support legal abortion and the freedom to make our own decisions about our own bodies – and this Election Day, they made that clear. Rep. Stanton has consistently voted to protect reproductive rights, and we are fortunate to have him back in Congress. We have a lot of work to do to make abortion legal in all 50 states, and have Rep. Stanton in the House will help us win our rights back faster.”
NARAL Pro-Choice America Southwest Regional Director Caroline Mello Roberson release the following message:
“NARAL Pro-Choice Arizona and our more than 75,000 members across Arizona congratulate Rep. Stanton on his victory in the Republican nomination. We know we can count on him to bravely fight for freedom. of reproduction, and we look forward to continuing our partnership with him to protect our most important freedoms.”
In June, the Supreme Court reversed For v. Wade in his judgment in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization– Legalize abortion rights and open the door for state legislatures to put all abortion restrictions in place. This decision has already had a significant impact across the country as 15 states have imposed strict or total restrictions on abortion. The people most harmed by these restrictions and restrictions are those who already face difficulties in accessing abortion care – including women; Black, Latina/x, Asian American, Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, and Indigenous people; people working to achieve; the LGBTQ+ community; immigrants; young people; people living in rural communities; the disabled, and other previously oppressed communities.
NARAL has launched its largest midterm poll to pick candidates up and down the ballot during this critical moment in the fight for reproductive freedom. The program focuses on investing in telemarketing, knocking on doors, organizing young people, and campaigns, as well as effective communication to support candidates and voting plans in Arizona, Georgia, California, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Nevada. Read more about NARAL’s recommended candidates here.
NARAL’s work in Arizona includes:
- Knocked on more than 2,000 doors, made nearly 36,000 calls, and sent more than 51,000 letters;
- Hosting 43 candidate events with local independents;
- The hiring of field workers in Arizona to select winners for statewide seats for the first time; and
- Use NARAL Pro-Choice America president Mini Timmaraju to fight alongside candidates and get votes in key races.
Highlights of our midterm exams include:
- Use the full power of our 4 million members to support their communities through traditional partnerships. In total, we knocked on more than 330,000 doors, made nearly 707,000 calls, sent more than 868,000 letters, and recruited more than 4,860 volunteers..
- Continue to expand the impact of our cutting-edge research into voters’ views on abortion, including our liberal campaign, by train candidates, volunteers, and activists to speak up for their communities in the way we know to follow their values and move them to follow their beliefs.
- Rolling out a pilot program in Michigan as well 14 organizations work at seven four-year colleges and over 20 community colleges to register voters and activate more than 721 volunteers.
- Recommended candidates in more than 200 nationalities for federal and state offices.
- NARAL, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, and EMILY’s List report cooperation in May to consolidate the use of history $ 150 million in the 2022 half-term to choose the freedom of reproduction up and down the vote across the country.
For more than 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and advance federal and state reproductive rights—including access to abortion, birth control, pregnancy and postpartum care, and paid family leave all body. NARAL is powered by its 4 million members from every state and court in the country, representing 8 out of 10 Americans who support legal abortion.